um was built in January 1924 to preserve Lenin's body. Lenin's coffin was brought from the village of Gorki, where he died, on 23 January and placed in the Hall of Columns of the House of Unions for people to pay their last respects. The same night the architect A.Shchusev was instructed by the government to design and build a temporary mausoleum near the Kremlin walls in which the body would remain until the funeral, which was fixed for 27 January. Shchusev
wandered around Red Square for a long time, and by sunset the design for a wooden mausoleum was prepared. It was in the form of a cube (the symbol of eternity) with a height of three meters. The contemporary Mausoleum was erected in the Red Square
in 1930 replacing the wooden mausoleum. Lenin's body, with its face uncovered, was
placed in a glass sarcophagus, and thousands of people filed past each day.